Sunday, April 02, 2006

Saturday Nights at the Bohemia Café

Another great jam I often attend is run by Pierluca Taranta at the Bohemia Café in Hackney (map) on Saturday nights. The house band is Luca on guitar, plus bass and drums - last night it was Lance and Vladimiro. The music starts at around 9pm and goes on till after midnight.

Last night was a quite special night for me, as most of my family came along to eat and to enjoy the music. Luca's trio started the night with several standards. They sounded so good that I must admit it was a little daunting to be the first to go up and join them. But I wasn't sure if my folks would want to stay right to the end of the evening so I thought I should play something before the band took a break. As it turned out, there was no hurry, as once my sisters and mother got into the red wine there was no stopping them.

A few other musicians played a tune or two after the break. I particularly enjoyed the contributions from violinist Maria Bruccheri, and from the singer and oud player from Turkey (oops I seem to have mislaid his name) who rounded off the evening with some wonderful middle eastern music.

So I really recommend coming along on a Saturday night, whether to join in, or just to listen - the music is great, the food is great (and very reasonable), and the atmosphere is very friendly.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello !
I am French, and an old friend of Maria Bruccheri. I search for years his address in London, in order to meet her. Can you help me, please ? Thank you ! Mistermoonlight (fabre in Nancy)

angus said...

Hi - I have forwarded your message and your address to Maria.

Anonymous said...

thank you very much !
You're really nice !

angus said...

mon plaisir.

Anonymous said...

dear Angus,
I received nothing from maria...
So, I hope you can maybe give me her e-mail address, because I want to ask her a few questions about her job in London . Indeed, I finished my studies at the "Conservatoire de musique" and I hope she can give me pieces of informations about my future ...
Thank you very much.
Moonlight...