Monday, May 29, 2006

Only Child

I recently finished doing the music for another short animated film by Jason Ruddy. Only Child is a poem about a lonely little girl, Petunia, who longs for a little brother, and Jason has animated the story. Jason has Paul Kaye reading the poem. (Mr Kaye also appeared in the Miss Marple episode I worked on recently - small world and all that.)

As this was a poetry reading, I decided to use solo piano. The story is set in a family home, so again I thought piano was appropriate. I used a great piano patch from Post Musical Instruments which they call 'The Old Lady' - it's a 1923 Steinway, and has a great deal of character. Using Kontakt 2's scripting facilities, it implements sympathetic resonance, so that non-struck keys sound if their string is currently undamped and they are harmonically related to a struck key. Or something.. anyhoo, it sounds good.

I understand that Jason is still polishing the film - watch this space for further developments..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Angus,

Jason here, just wanted to add how great the music is and that Only Child will be finally ready for the world to see (or those that want to see it) at the end of this month. I've struggled on many parts of this film, I think because of the generous help of Paul, Angus and Adrian (sound designer) I have been trying to make this film the best I can do and hopefully the end result will show that, in other words I don't want to let anybody down! On another note I would like to thank Angus again, he's been very good to me over the last year for doing things like this for me and I wish him all the best for the future. Plus I think the world should know what a nice bloke Paul Kaye is, he's made this film something very special. Cheers J

angus said...

Hey Jason - thanks for that! Really looking forward to seeing the finished film!