Friday, February 10, 2006

Rachel Jenkins Duo

(Blimey, I've gone blog-mad today, me.)

So having rocked the joint in my Japanese class (see below), I zipped across town to Greenwich to sit in with jazz singer Rachel Jenkins.

Oliver's (or perhaps it was Olivier's - hmmm..) is a really nice little basement bar in Nevada Street in Greenwich. The toilets were reminiscent of Frodo's house in Hobbiton (in a good way). The beer was expensive, but the atmosphere was really cosy and intimate - perfect for Rachel's tender vocals and Pierluca Taranta's sensitive comping on guitar.

The duo performed some of the classic jazz songs such as Cheek to Cheek and Them There Eyes, as well as some songs from other genres, such as (Sitting on) The Dock of the Bay and Natural Woman. I joined them on stage shortly before the end of the first set, and really enjoyed to play with them. We were also accompanied for a couple of songs by Tonya (sp?) on djembe, and also by a gentleman on piano whose name I missed, I'm afraid, for a vigorous rendition of Moondance.

It was a really nice evening, and quite well-attended, I'm happy to say. Everyone seemed to have a great time. Hopefully I will get the chance to play with Rachel and Luca again soon..

2 comments:

infinitemuppets said...

Hey fella -

Thanks a lot for the (very kind) link. Much appreciated. Having a very nerdy evening, and just saw that someone came through from it - so cheers again!

Mind if I ask where you found my site from?

Minor coincidence - I actually played the cornet for a while as a kid. My dad played cornet, trumpet and tenor horn for 40 years, and most of my family have played brass at the top level. In fact, it's our kid's wedding next week and we've got Faireys (don't know if you know of 'em?) playing in the church.

Anyway, smallish world and all that. Or not.

Take care, good luck with the site and thanks again for the link.

infinitemuppets@googlemail.com

angus said...

Hello - I have replied by email.
I'm just writing this so that people don't think I'm rude.